EV comes inside







With the rover out of the garage the electric car could FINALLY be brought in. Thought I'd take a couple pics of it first "drive" into the garage. I also loaded the motor and trans into the car.

Still deciding on engine and trans placement. I'll probably go with the factory placement for the transmission but I have been toying with moving it back 8". Makes for a lot of extra room in the front. The driveshaft from an automatic car is 8" shorter than the manual car and bolts up so that would be no issue. However customizing the shifter seems like a big pain. My time is probably better spent elsewhere on the car.

Other task was to remove the tank. This was actually quite easy. Remove the boot from the e-brake lever. Remove the nuts on the cables. Pull them out from under the car. Take out the three bolts holding the tank in and volia. After I had it out I found it still contained gas. I was under the impression it had been drained. So I pumped out 4 gallons of gas using the fuel pump. I weight the tank and lines and they come to 30lbs.

My wife and boy made me some cardboard mock ups of batteries. Playing with those it appears I can get 4 of them where the fuel tank was. There is gobs of room up front and in the trunk for the remainder. Just have to decide how many go in each of those spots.

Next steps:
Clean off the oil and gunk off the underside of the car.
Mount the motor and transmission
Design battery trays
Buy batteries.

Oh forgot to mention I think that I bought a hydrolic brake booster to replace the vacume booster. It'll take some customizing to get it installed in the car. I'll look into that as well. I guess I should also mention that while I was test fitting the motor in the rearward position I had loosely bolted the driveshaft to it. It was wedged up into the body and supported well so I couldn't resist and hit it with some juice and spun the tires. I'd post that video too so I could be nominated for an academy award but with the loose driveshaft it clanked quite a bit. Maybe when it's mounted correctly I'll post one

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Removing the volts front seats.

Blower module

Zilla and Warp9 (Sold):