Cutting the plate picture


Here's a screen grab from the cutting process. I have it in movie form but it pretty much looks like the picture with the noise of the saw going




I put the bolt holes into the transmission adapter plate by bushing the trans bolt holes with some thin metal then drilling through the bolt holes. Then enlarging them to the right size. On my trans the locating dowels are in the same location as a bolt hole so I drilled that through the bolt hole. Counterbored with the closest standard drill size to the dowel hole. Then used a rotary file (round dill bit like attachment with a flat bottom. Kind of like and end mill) in my drill to enlarge them slightly and I mean slightly enlarge the hole and cut a square edge at the bottom of the hole. Worked great.

As others have done I then put the motor spacer plate on and the trans adapter plate and assembled them so they were against each other but not bolted together. I then spun the motor to center the trans. Drilled and doweled the two plates together. Removed them and drilled and dowled them in centered area and cut off the excess metal. I found when trying to center the trans that the best way was to put it together WITHOUT the clutch and move it around until the LEAST drag was felt (trans input shaft rotating easily in the pilot bushing). There was too much play in the splines of the clutch which allowed it to float more than the spining it and testing for the least drag (putting the trans in first gear will also make the differences more noticable.) I actually did mine with just the front half of the trans and the input shaft since I had it apart. When located in it's finished position I could spin the input shaft easily in the opposite direction when the motor was on and running (with the nose of the input shaft engaged into pilot busing in the motor).

Not sure any of that information is useful. There are a number of good "how to's" on making adapter plates. I still would like to balance my flywheel adapter and maybe even the flywheel. However that'll wait until later. I think the next step will be to load the motor into the chassis and see how it fits. That'll have to wait though as I want to get some work done on one of my other vehicles first

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Removing the volts front seats.

Blower module

Zilla and Warp9 (Sold):